10.14.2024

Calico Cowgirl "Leather and Lace Purse"


Hi!  I'm so happy to be able to share the project I made with the new line of fabric from Poppie Cotton - Calico Cowgirls designed by Lori Woods


The line is happy and vibrant with deep jewel tones.  I decided to use my Free Curved Tote Bag Pattern as a starting point to create the "Leather and Lace Purse".

The prints are so beautiful so I decided to create outside pockets with 3 1/2" squares of my favorite prints.




The Pocket panel is embellished with a vintage lace square set on the diagonal with a center button.




I added lace trim at the top of the pocket which I think adds such a nice, vintage touch.




I wanted to have the option of wearing this bag as a cross body bag, so I added 1/2" tabs and D rings to the side seams so I could add a shoulder strap.



I just happened to have the leather in my stash for the handles.  They are 3/4" x 18" stitched onto the bag with heavy duty thread.

If you are interested in some leather sewing tips -  I have a tutorial [HERE]

Here are a few resources for leather:

Joann.com for leather straps and remnant bags - I cut my straps from leather remnants

Tandy Leather  - Search for Leather remnants or Leather Strips

The cute little button and flowers hanging from the D-Ring tab were a free gift with purchase from Sunny Day Supply.


Please tag your photos on social media with the hashtags:

#CalicoCowgirls #CalicoCowgirlsFabric #PoppieCotton





Happy Sewing!

Charise : )




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!
I love to read your comments - they make my day!!