4.24.2012

Hello Spring Tulip & Tote Bag

I'm so excited to be part of the Paper Pieced Pattern a Day Garden Party Blog Hop!!!!

It doesn't quite feel like Spring in Seattle until the tulip bulbs I planted in the fall bloom in April.
My block is a tulip in a pot which for me epitomizes the beginning of Spring.

If you haven't seen the other Garden Party themed blocks you should really check it out HERE.
They are fabulous!
Jennifer of Sewhooked is hosting and has some fabulous give-aways, too. 
[Fabrics:  Background Text: Lakehouse Annie's farm stand,  Green leaves a stem: Denyse Schmidt Flea Market Fancy,  Blue Stripe: DS Quilts for fabric traditions,  Blue floral: DS Quilts for fabric traditions, Blue Text : Kumiko Fujita]

The block is 4 1/2" wide and the instructions include measurements for making a 10" block.  You could also use two blocks to create a 10" or 12" block.  The pattern can be found HERE.

With Spring in the air, one cannot have too many cute shopping totes!!
I decided to use this block to adorn a fun shopping tote.  Warning - It is a big one : )
A whopping 15 3/4" x 18 3/4"!!
If you want a smaller bag, just trim off the bottom and you can keep all the other measurements the same.  Make sure your quilt block fits the smaller size of the tote and you can see it below the flap.


I added pom pom trim and a border around the block to coordinate.

I love the ruffle top elastic pocket.  It is super duper, easy peasy and has a nice clean finish.
I also added one to the inside lining.
You can find the tote bag tutorial HERE.


If you decide to make my "Hello Spring" block or tote bag, I would love to see your version on my Charise Creates Flickr group HERE.
And don't forget to check out the Garden Party Flickr group HERE!

xo Charise

20 comments:

  1. Love this block - it's just gorgeous! What a great idea to pop it on a tote bag too. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charise, I love this! It's funny actually. I've just been looking for a pattern for a tulip in a pot to make into a cushion for my grandmother for Mother's Day. She's a lifelong gardener whose garden is full of bulbs in spring. This is quite perfect! Thank you so much for sharing with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goddness!!! i this block! you made an amazing work!!! so beautiful! :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so perfectly spring. Wonderful job Charise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how delicate the tulip block is, and your tote is so cute! I can't wait to make a tulip block!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore this block and how you fussy cut it! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling block and project! Thanks so much for both patterns:)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful bag to go shopping with! I am going to make one today! Thanks for sharing....Judith, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a breath of spring! Love your block, Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is perfect for spring! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cutest tulip block EVER! I love the tote that you fashioned around the block, too. It's just excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful bloom and the bag is perfect to showcase it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the beautiful block! It's a very nice addition to the Garden Party! Happy quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Charise! What a sweet block! I always love you choice of fabrics. I will definitely need to give this one a try :) Hugs, L

    ReplyDelete
  16. i'm echoing Laurraine, your fabric choices are stellar! it's such a cute block, and it totally screams SPRING!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tulip in a pot! What an adorable idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it - have been enjoying my tulips in the garden and some cut flowers inside but this one can be enjoyed all year round!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for your cute pattern.
    And always enjoy reading your blog from Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I simply marvel at your finesse in this genre..truly inspiring...you are without a doubt, my inspiring muse...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love to read your comments - they make my day!!