1.10.2013

Scrappy Trip Around the World




I've been seeing all these fabulous scrappy patch quilts all over Flickr.  They looked so wonderful but they also looked like lots of work.  Well I was sooo wrong.   The tutorial is from Quiltville and is called "Scrappy Trip Around the World".  It is genius!  6 - 2 1/2" wide x 16" long strips sewn together, cut in strips and then resewn to a 12" block.
I  have tons on my plate....bee blocks, craft it forward and lots of stuff I just want to make!
But I decided to join in - always nice to have an easy, fun project.

I'm not so good at completely scrappy so this is what I did:

I cut strips in colors red, aqua and pink and 3 light or white ground to go with these.
If you want even less scrappy, you could use a solid or the same white ground dot.
I alternated the dark and light to have contrast between each strip.
Choose your favorite color combos!  I think a yellow in place of the pink would have been nice in this quilt - in retrospect : )
 


I then made sure I picked one color to be the diagonal line down the center - I picked aqua.
All blocks have the exact same layout but different prints - my OCD verion of scrappy!
Be sure to go to Quiltville and Flickr to see all the inspiring versions of this quilt!
: )



xo
Charise

18 comments:

  1. Has anyone told you that they LOVE you today? Well I do... I'm so OCD and this is exactly what I had planned for my scrappy trip around the world except I was going to do white as my center focus. Planning on doing a little girl baby quilt! Thanks for the push I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're funny. If I make one, I will likely be OCD as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this version. I try to be scrappy but I just can't do it. I have to plan. That's one reason I didn't do this quilt along but maybe I'll change my mind...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish i had planned mine a bit more as I love the way your diagonal looks. I'm trying to embrace the scrappy thing but being usually very OCD I'm not sure I've succeeded, hopefully I still like them when they're all done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your organized scrappy quilt :) I love scrappy but have a hard time too and was thinking of doing just what you did. I may need to go cut some strips :0

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore your version! Thanks so much for sharing how to get the colours to line up so well. It is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the your fabric choices are perfect. Love the pink!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not at all keen on the totally scrappy look with this pattern, but yours I like! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I follow your blog and love your quilts. This is the BEST by far of the trip quilts. I LOVE this and may just start one now that I've seen this beauty. Thanks for the idea!
    Mary Malone
    mary and russ at wi dot rr dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm enjoying your blog always and your pattern. I finished sewing time quilt with your nice patterns. And I liked this bright blocks. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice, must try it too, super page, dear greetings from Austria. Helga

    ReplyDelete
  12. My OCD brain loves your version! Without a pattern it's just a bunch of squares! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE your approach! I also wanted to make one, but was having trouble with the randomness. I just don't think I have enough "pretty" scraps yet to make this a random quilt. I was totally thinking of a planned scrappy, but still wasn't sure how to approach it. This really helps I am thinking grey, yellow and turqoise.

    How much yardage do you think you will need for a queen?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your approach turned out sooooo much better than my very scrappy version. I want to try it again using the same fabric or color for the center diagonal.
    maybe the center diagonal the only colored fabric and the rest white.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your tut for the scrappy trip azznd was wanting to add your button to my blog. How do I do that? I cant seem to copy and paste..

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a great idea. Thank you for the tut!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love to read your comments - they make my day!!