6.19.2016

Fussy Cutting for Foundation Paper Piecing

One of my favorite methods to use when I Paper Piece designs is Fussy Cutting.
Fussy Cutting is using a motif in a fabric and cutting it to focus on the motif.



You can see how I used it on the waistband of my Apron picture above.  
I also use fussy cutting to position a print in a desired direction which you can see with the apple print.  The apples are running vertical and are centered on the front panel.  
I was able to achieve this by fussy cutting.

This is also a great way to conserve fabric since you are cutting only the amount of fabric you need.

*Here are some tips to help you with your next Fussy Cut Paper Pieced project*


1)  
Print out an extra copy of the pattern.
Cut out the section of the pattern you want to fussy cut.
In this example, I want to fussy cut the waistband on the apron - section A3.

2)
Place the pattern piece, Right Side Up, on the Wrong side of the fabric directly covering the section you want to fussy cut. 
Use a bit of fabric glue to hold the pattern piece in place.

In this example, I want the words "tag cotton" to be centered on the waistband.



3)
Using a C-thru ruler, mark 1/4" from the edge of your pattern.
Cut on the line.

OR

Use a rotary cutter and your acrylic ruler to cut around the pattern piece.

Remove the pattern piece from the back of the fabric.
You are ready to use the pattern piece!


I like to save the pattern pieces to be used again.  I keep mine in a sheet protector and file it in a binder with the pattern. 

Happy Sewing!
xo
Charise









2 comments:

  1. soooooooooooooooo adorable!!! Clearly i need new fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I'll be trying it on the next set of blocks that I'm making.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love to read your comments - they make my day!!