11.24.2015

Handmade Gifts ~ Lavender Pinwheel Sachet Tutorial


Today I am going to share a gift that would be perfect for a special lady in your life ~ Mother, Best Friend, Sister.....



The sachet is based on a coaster pattern that I designed for RJR Fabrics Supreme solids blog hop.  
I modified the pattern a bit to make a lavender sachet.  
It has a hanging loop so you can tuck it in a drawer, under your pillow or hang from a hanger in your closet.


It is also a fun little gift to pop into a stocking.
This is a perfect gift paired with a beautifully scented candle ~  I found this candle at a local gift shop.



I used Liberty fabrics for this sachet.  Since it takes such little fabric, it is a great way to use up some large scraps of fabric.

Lavender Pinwheel Sachet Tutorial

Supplies :
1 - 4" square background fabric 
1 - 4" Square yellow print fabric 
2 - 1 1/2" x 4 1/2" strips print fabric
2 - 1 1/2" x 6 1/2" strips print fabric
1 - 6 1/2" square solid or print fabric for backing
9" - 1/4" - 1/2" wide ribbon
1 Button
Dried Lavender Florets (Mine came from my garden.  You can also buy lavender florets online.  My favorite online store is Pelenduba Lavendar which is located on San Juan Island in Washington State)

Matching Thread
Rotary Cutter and self healing mat
Acrylic ruler

*All seams are 1/4"*

Follow the directions for the Pinwheel coaster - Step 1 - 6 [HERE]

Step 7

Baste the ribbon the the top center of the front sachet right sides ribbon to right side sachet.

Step 8

Place the front sachet right sides together with the 6 1/2" square.



Stitch around the perimeter leaving a 2" opening at the bottom.
Clip corners.
Press the seams open.  Turn right side out and press 

Step 9



Stitch around the border leaving a 2" opening at the bottom.

Step 10

Make a small funnel with a 4" square of paper.
Fill the center of the sachet with the florets. 

Step 11



Stitch the opening between the border and pinwheel center closed.
Slip stitch the opening in the outer border.

Step 12



Stitch the button on the center of the sachet using a backing button on the 
wrong side. 


Enjoy your beautiful fragrant sachet : )

Happy Sewing
xo
Charise



5 comments:

  1. This is a sweet way to make a lavender bag, the Liberty fabric make sit extra special too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely, Charise! I love lavender and what a pretty way to keep it around. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. where do you purchase lavender to fill ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lavender I used came from my garden. You can buy the florets at Pelinduba Lavendar (link above). They are located in WA state. You can also google or Bing Search Lavendar to find a supplier near you : )

      Delete
  4. I am happy to find this post Very useful for me. as it contains lot of information. I Always prefer to read The Quality and glad I found this thing in you post boho jewelry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love to read your comments - they make my day!!