9.25.2015

Aimee ~ Farmer's Wife Fridays



Happy Friday!
I have decided to share my progress on my Farmer's Wife Quilt on Fridays ~ Farmer's Wife Friday!
I will do my best to share any new blocks I make and a bit of my process.

So far I have made three blocks from the Farmer's Wife 1930's Sampler Quilt Book.

From Left to Right - Ann, Aimee and Addie.

I decided to add the new blocks to blocks made previously from the first book.
I plan to keep with the same color story but may decide to add in a few more colors.  We will see....



My favorite part of making the blocks is picking out the fabric.
This block includes a text print from Holly Holderman at Lake House Dry Goods, the apple is from Riley Blake and the fun little girl print is a Japanese print that is a reproduction 1930's feed sack.
  
The blocks also lend themselves well to fussy cutting.
You can see a tip for how I fussy cut my blocks [HERE]


The book is not just a quilting book but also includes letters from 1930's farm wives.

The letter that goes along with Aimee is wonderful.
Here is an excerpt.

"There are those who think that farm women who spend time reading are lazy and "highbrow".  Besides, of what use are storybooks to women who work in the fields and milk cows? All the more reason I say, why a farm woman should escape for a few minutes into a make-believe world where her spirit may be eased."

"And go to bed with backward looks
At my dear land of Storybooks."  

~Bookworm
WISCONSIN - FEBRUARY 1934

I love this letter.  
When I was a little girl I wanted to be a librarian surrounded by silence and books : )

xo
Charise


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful blocks. Loved that part of the letter too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautiful job! You are so talented in your stitching and fussy cutting. I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I LOVE your block and I especially love the little girl print in your Aimee block. Do you happen to know who made that fabric? Who is the manufacturer or the name of the line or designer? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love to read your comments - they make my day!!